Full-time postdoc position in A Coruña (Spain)
The University of A Coruña is offering a full-time postdoctoral position in A Coruña (Spain) to conduct research in the field of Natural Language Processing (NLP). The position is available within the European Research Council (ERC Starting Grant) project FASTPARSE - Fast Natural Language Parsing for Large-Scale NLP, led by Prof. Carlos Gómez-Rodríguez. The main goal of this frontier research project is to develop new algorithms and techniques to improve the speed of natural language parsers, making them suitable for web-scale processing.
The University of A Coruña is a young, vibrant public university located in A Coruña, a charming city in the Atlantic coast of Galicia (Spain) offering high quality of life at an affordable cost of living for European standards. The selected candidate will join a new laboratory dedicated to the project, with a team composed of 2 postdoctoral researchers and 2 PhD students together with the project leader. The FASTPARSE laboratory will in turn be affiliated with the highly-active Language and Information Society research group, which joins together researchers from computer science and linguistics backgrounds interested in computational linguistics and NLP. The postdoctoral researcher will be expected to publish at the top international conferences and journals in the field.
The postdoctoral researcher will engage in cutting-edge research focusing on natural language parsing, which may involve other related subareas of NLP. The bulk of the work will be undertaken in A Coruña, although the researcher will be expected to visit foreign research groups and participate in international conferences.
Salary and benefits:
- Gross salary level in the range of €29500-30500 per year.
- The start date of the contract will be about August 1, 2020.
- The initial period of the contract will be 1 year, but extensible to the end of the project (January 31, 2022).
- The project will cover travel money for attending international conferences and making research visits to prestigious research institutions.
Minimum qualifications (exclusion criteria):
- Ph. D. in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, Mathematics or related fields.
- Solid programming skills in at least one of C++, Java, C#, or similar.
- Fluent spoken and written English (knowledge of Spanish is NOT required).
- Research experience (publications) in NLP/Computational Linguistics or Machine Learning.
If you think that your background is relevant to the project goals, please get in touch even if you do not fit the indicated profile.
Preferred qualifications (evaluation criteria):
The applicant's scientific record will be assessed in terms of scientific quality, relevance, impact, breadth and relation to the goals of the project. The following aspects will be emphasized in the evaluation:
- Research experience in natural language parsing.
- Experience with machine learning, especially deep learning.
- Experience with big data processing.
- Knowledge in linguistics or cognitive science.
- Publications in the top international conferences in NLP/Computational Linguistics or Machine Learning, or in journals of comparable quality.
- Scientific independence and capacity to generate ideas autonomously.
- Team work skills, and experience with international and interdisciplinary collaboration.
- Knowledge of languages other than English or Spanish, with special emphasis on Chinese, Arabic and/or German.
The evaluation will be based on the CV and cover letter submitted by the applicants, as well as an interview by videoconference.
How to apply
Interested candidates can send their application by email to Carlos Gómez-Rodríguez (email@example.com) including in attachment (PDF format):
- Cover letter.
- CV, including contact details, list of publications, and any other relevant information according to the criteria above.
- Full contact details (name, address, telephone, email) of up to three professional references.
- ID card or passport, and copy of Ph.D. degree diploma/certificate.
Shortlisted candidates may be asked for additional information, and will be interviewed.
Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, in order to have time to address possible issues with the documentation.
Potential candidates are welcome to ask any questions, also by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.